{a foto food journal}

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

philippines day #3 - singing cooks and waiters

I just realized that I've been back "stateside" for almost 3 weeks now, so I really need to finishing blogging about my vacation before I forget. So here I go...

On my third day in Manila my parents wanted to show us the old city of Intramuros. But before we endured the hot and sticky weather, we stopped by a classic Filipino restaurant called The Singing Cooks & Waiters atbp (at iba pa...which translates to "and other things" in English). Can you imagine going to restaurant where the waiters sing to you as they serve your food? I'm not talking about a guy that comes up to your table and serenades you with a guitar. I'm taking about the entire waitstaff (including the cooks) singing hits from the 80's like they were competing for American Idol...decked out in traditional Filipino attire. Yeah it was like that, plus a full band as backup playing in the background. The environment was definitely entertaining. I found my self singing along and enjoying the tunes as much as I enjoyed the food!

We ordered the seafood ihaw ihaw special. Ihaw ihaw means barbecue style cooking in English, which basically means that it was cooked over a smoky grill.


Seafood pancit sotanghon.

Bitter melon with shrimp.


Green mangos, tomatoes, and red onion served with bagoong alamang (I could eat this alone with some rice).Here's what my plate looked like:

Here's the singing cooks & waiters. At the end of the meal they serenaded our table with a "balikbayan song". If you're ever in manila (returning as a balikbayan), you should definitely hit this restaurant up!


Singing Cooks & Waiters atbp
Ongpauco Building
Sta Monica Street Corner Roxas Boulevard
1300 Pasay Metro Manila

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of the place where I come from we also serve from banana leaves. Its so green movement. Your travelogue/foodlogue is really entertaining.

    ReplyDelete